KAYU® 25 Year Limited Warranty
The following requirements must be met to validate this warranty:
Kayu® International, Inc., hereinafter “warrantor” warrants that KAYU hardwood decking, with proven performance in decking applications for decades, is limited to Kayu® – Batu™, Kayu® -Golden™, Kayu®-IPE™ and Kayu®-Sapphire™ hardwood decking.
KAYU hardwood decking is naturally durable and stable. It will not suffer structural damage from rot, termite damage or fungal decay for at least 25 years, when:
- Purchased from an official KAYU dealer as normal, “clear grade.”
- Installed in a residential structure that meets all applicable construction, installation, building, and safety codes.
- Before installation and finishing, All KAYU® hardwood deck boards were kept clean, dry, and out of direct sunlight.
- No Metal was cut anywhere near KAYU® hardwood at any time during the installation process.
- The boards were sealed with a high quality penetrating oil sealer on all four sides, prior to installation.
- Decking is installed with a minimum ground clearance of 18″ and at least two sides of the deck open, allowing at least 50% unrestricted air flow.
- There is a slope for drainage under the deck, posing no chance of standing water.
- Proper spacing between deck boards of at least ¼” is used for 6” (5-1/2” net) decking, or spacing of at least 3/16” is used for 4” (3-1/2” net) decking.
- If a minimum ground clearance of 18″ was not obtainable, then the deck was installed using 5/4 X 4 decking.
- Proper spacing between deck boards that were Installed with a minimum gap of 1⁄4″ between each deck board of 6″ (5-1⁄2″ net) and a minimum gap of 3/16″ between each deck board of 4″ (3-1⁄2″ net) decking. A 1⁄4″ spacing was provided from any structures such as foundations or rail posts.
- In more demanding applications, such as boat docks, decks built closer to the ground and decks with less air flow, a minimum gap of 5/16″ for 6″ decking and a minimum of 1⁄4″ for 4″ is allowed.
- Decking is Pre-drilled with pilot holes and countersink for all screws, using high-quality #10 (or greater) stainless steel screws, with a minimum screw penetration into joist of 1-1⁄2”.
- Decking is fastened through every face of the board on every joist and no clip fasteners or nails were used.
- Boards that are considered ‘defective’ are trimmed or sorted out prior to installation.
- Decking is spanned and instructions adhered, according to the recommendations provided in Kayu’s “Installations Essentials.” Form #1010 and 1008 (KAYU®-Sapphire™).
Purchaser’s sole remedy for any claim is replacement of KAYU® decking material in affected area(s) only. KAYU® 25 Year Limited Warranty does not include installation labor.
Warrantor does not warrant that, and purchaser is solely responsible for determining whether KAYU hardwood decking meets any applicable safety, building codes, health, or other regulations. Warrantor shall not be liable for installation or re-installation costs or for any indirect, punitive, consequential, or exemplary damages of any kind whatsoever arising from purchaser’s purchase of KAYU hardwood decking.
KAYU decking products are all stable hardwoods, with proven performance in decking applications for decades. Excessive movement is defined as twisting or warping over half an inch. Any visible quality issues must be dealt with prior to installation. Minor surface checking is a normal occurrence and is not a warranty issue.
The above remedy is exclusive and is in lieu of all other remedies, expressed, implied, or statutory, including but not limited to any and all other obligations, or liabilities.
To validate this warranty, you must provide the following information and mail to the address below within 100 days of installation.
KAYU International, Inc.
26099 SW 95th Ave, Suite #603
Wilsonville, Oregon 97070
- Your name
- Your address
- The name and location of the KAYU dealer your decking was purchased through
- Date deck was completed
- Copy of your KAYU decking purchase receipt
- Dated photographs showing:
- Proper deck board spacing (place a ruler/tape measure in the photo for reference)
- Proper airflow and ground clearance (place a tape measure in the photo for reference)
- Stainless steel screws of high quality # 10 (or greater) fastened through the face of the boards.
Disclaimer: KAYU® hardwood decking products are carefully selected and inspected to ensure the finest quality. However, all natural wood is subject to expansion and contraction as the moisture in the environment surrounding the wood changes. Shrinkage, expansion, surface checking, and other movement are normal occurrences in all hardwood decking. Natural wood products are subject to variances in color, grain, density, and performance.
Resources: Download Kayu Brochure