Compare Exotic Hardwood vs Western Red Cedar Softwood
KAYU® WHERE NATURAL BEAUTY IS AT HOME
KAYU® International, Inc. was founded in 1994 and is one of the world’s largest serving Direct Importers of Premium Exotic Hardwood for the U.S. & Canadian markets; providing decades of High Quality Hardwood, Dependable Service at Surprisingly Affordable Prices.
KAYU® Exotic Hardwood and Western Red Cedar (WRC) Softwood are both prized for their beauty and are highly recognizable proven performers. However, when comparing the two for any exterior application, Kayu® believes their skillfully selected exotic hardwood species from SE Asia will consistently out-perform and out-last Cedar Softwood.
KAYU’s® exotic hardwood species are favorably sought-after and recognized for their unrivaled strength and unparalleled beauty. Our Kayu® brand is widely recognized as one of the hardest and most stable wood species in the world. Unlike many species of wood, our exotic hardwood grows in SE Asia year-long, creating superior dense cell and interlocking grain. Because of this, a natural resilience and superior strength to weight ration of kayu® selected hardwood enables it to withstand far greater stresses and movement.
Its dense cell structures serve as a natural deterrent to decay, insects and mold. Reliable for longevity, durability and low-maintenance. Our wood has been tested and proven for over 100 years in the most demanding and extreme applications. Kayu’s® hardwood is for those Who Demand Quality and Expect Beauty with Consistent Perfection.
PROS & CONS:
- Kayu® Hardwoods Do Not have natural tannins, compared to cedar and other softwoods that react with fasteners leaving unsightly black streaks.
- Kayu® has excellent paint holding fibers; allowing oil-based stain or paint to be applied to both the smooth and rough-sawn side, which will readily absorb the coating. Contrasting with cedar, the finish has a shorter holding span and probably should only be finished on the rough-sawn side.
- Unlike Cedar and many species of wood, our Kayu® exotic hardwood grows in SE Asia year-long, creating superior dense cell and interlocking grain. Naturally creating the advantage of graying and aging without compromising its structural stability. Furthermore, interlocking grain allows fasteners to have a superior hold.
- Kayu® stocks species that are Class A Flame Spread for fire (same as concrete and steel), The flame spread rating for Western Red Cedar is only 45 (Class B rating).
- Kayu’s® range of hardwoods are stable in application and known to be one of the most durable, dent, scratch and surface checking resistant hardwoods available on the market; Expansion and shrinkage is usually much less..
- Kayu® Hardwoods provides additional value at the Job site with material waste being reduced considerably from less board split and breakage, compared to Cedar.
- Kayu® is 100% natural and 100% organic, with no preservatives or additives.
- Kayu® is 100% clear grade and primarily heartwood; always inspected by KAYU SE Asia Graders.
- Kayu® values providing premium quality consistency with all our species; board to board and load to load. Cedar is notorious for having knots and unless a consumer is willing to pay a premium price for clear grade cedar, they can expect boards with knots plus defects.
- Kayu® is skillfully kiln-dried for consistent application, board to board, using a first-rate sophisticated process of computer and operator controlled heat and humidity to adjust and regulate the drying of the boards.
- Kayu® is low & easy maintenance; allow to weather to silver patina color or clean, wash & oil to bring back the woods natural beauty & warmth. Our wood can easily be pressure washed after a few years without tearing/ripping out grain, or leaving a fuzzy finish like Cedar or Redwood. This allows a new like finish to be achieved every few years
- Kayu® has more than 30 years of market history and during this time we’ve demonstrated a consistent, steady and reasonable price increases throughout the decades. Many other wood species have experience with significant duties or trade wars causing fluctuation of prices.
- Kayu® warehouses are stocked year-round and are strategically located nation-wide on both the West Coast and East Coast. Stocked with Premium even length boards, available year-round with complimentary product’s.
- For applications that require it, Kayu® stocks hardwood species with more insulation value and less weight.
- Kayu® is selectively Logged only from Malaysia and Indonesia, world Leaders in sustainable forestry practices. 100% Lacey Act and SVLK compliant.
Visit our website to read on our product disclaimer